Monday, May 2, 2011

Myffy Preschool Update

Shortly after that last post I got a call from The Montessori school to say that they had a spot for Myffy at last. I was expecting them to say it was a spot for Fall Enrollment, but amazingly they said she could start that next Monday! So she did. Unfortunately Lu woke up at 2:30am that morning, which is not unusual in itself. I always call the hour between 2:30 and 3:30 the witching hour because Lu almost always wakes up then, but if she doesn't, then we're usually good on through to a normal morning hour. The unusual thing about this morning was that she never, ever went back to sleep. I took Lu into the other bedroom in the hopes that at least Myffy could get a little more sleep before her first day of school, but it made a rough morning for all of us. I dropped Myffy off at 8:30am with her hat, coat, change of clothes, sunscreen, lunch box, indoor shoes, outdoor shoes, hand sanitizer, tissues, snacks and all the other things they ask you to bring on the first day of preschool. She was kind of interested as we hung her coat, hat and lunch box on the peg under her name, but then the moment she realized I was leaving her there, this new incredible, earth-rending wail that she has developed lately burst from her and the screaming fit began.

The door closed, but the sound followed me all the way down the hall and through two sets of doors, faded away as I walked around the building, but then met me again through an open window as I got into my car and drove away. I glanced in my mirror. Both car seats were empty. I was alone in my car without any kids. It felt really strange. Like my heart involuntarily jumped a little at the sight even though I know neither kid should be there right then. I headed home to where Lu was doing her ABA therapy and would need me to do her tube feeding in a couple of hours. I spent the next 40 minutes doing all kinds of things I keep meaning to do around the apartment but never seem to find time to do, until the phone rang. It was Myffy's school. I could hear Myffy screaming in the background, just as she had been when I left her. She hadn't stopped. They suggested I come get her. Poor baby. Crying like that for a whole hour without stopping. When I got there she was still crying. And she was exhausted. When she saw me her face lit up, she lunged out of the teachers arms and started yelling "Momma! Momma!" I took her into my arms. She quieted down. The crying reduced to sniffing while I talked to her teacher about the best way to ease her into all this. Then Myffy pointed and said "Culla (aka color), culla" referring to the easels where some of the kids were painting. At least she noticed that there were fun things to do in the classroom.

On Wednesday I cancelled my dentist appointment and cleared the whole morning so I could stay at school with Myffy. She started crying as I took off her coat this time and clung to me when we went into the classroom, but I sat down with her, let her sit in my lap, and cuddled her until she calmed down. After awhile Myffy got comfortable with me there and started venturing out a little. Just a few steps at first, then she turned back and launched herself into my lap with a "Momma" and a smile. Then a few steps more. Then she went to check out the birds. And then the fish. And then the instruments. And then the painting area. After two hours I got up to leave. She got upset again, but it was time to go outside right about then and the teacher told me afterwards that she really liked the rabbits and the garden. She cried a little more when she went back inside, but she cried herself to sleep so they put her down for a nap. They didn't call me until she woke up at 1pm.

The next several days we decided to have her stay form 8:30-10:30 each day and each day it got a little bit better. The hard thing about waiting for them to call and tell me whether or not I need to pick her up is that I either have to pick her up before 10:30 or wait until after Lu's tube feed and I've dropped her off for her afternoon preschool class all the way across town and drive all the way back which makes it around 1:30 before I can come back for Myffy. We're fitting in both of their ABA, Speech and OT therapies around these 3 day a week preschool classes. Today was Myffy's 3rd Monday in a row, and today she stayed at school from 8:30-2:30 with a nice big long nap in the middle. She started crying when I got her out of the car, and tried to hold on when I left her there, but when I arrived to pick her up, she wasn't crying or upset at all. She was standing on a step stool helping the teacher wash the dishes from snack time. The teacher sudsed them up, and handed them to Myffy, and Myffy held them under the tap to rinse all the soap off. She didn't even see me come in. I got to stand there and watch her for a few minutes before she turned. When she saw me she smiled, put her dish down carefully, stepped down off of the stool and ran to me for a great big hug. Go Myffy Go!

No comments: